Crown needling, was Re: Voice Grips

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:54:40 -0400

At 1:55 AM -0600 7/28/04, Dave Nereson wrote:
>Again, I said several timesthat the pliers treatment is for
>extremely hard hammers, not fine concert
>voicing.

Sorry, my ADD kicking in again.

>I have found that needling, even shallow "sugar-coating",  on the crowns
>of Yamaha hammers also makes the felt pull apart.  As does filing.  I think
>they just have really high tension compared to other hammers.

My limited experience with high tension hammers is that what crown
needling can accomplish has a small zone before the tone collapses
into the warm and fuzzy side. Also from that point, the hammers will
bang back up pretty quickly. Sugar coating on these hammers undoes
something which the stability of the voicing is depending on.

I think it's that once the strike point fibers have been pulled apart
(more likely with "Suede brush combing" than with needling, where
fibers are pushed to the side), they no longer make an interlocking
matt which can easily flex and return under the blow. They're simply
lying there loose in a pile, inert and unable to withstand the blow.

IMH&UO