Vise Grips voicing is not a vice

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:19:58 -0400

At 4:28 PM -0700 7/26/04, David Love wrote:
>Unfortunately, I think that pliers are often the only choice with hammers
>like that.  Yamaha, btw, does not recommend the use of pliers, at least not
>officially.   I don't disagree with the procedure itself, it's hammers that
>require such treatment that I disagree with.

The thing which has always bugged me about pliers is the way they
distort the shoulders. You set the bearing surfaces of the pliers, at
some chosen depth in from the shoulder's edge and you squeeze. This
is essentially a pinching operation. The thickness of the shoulder
compresses under the jaws, and in response, the portion of shoulder
directly outside of that pinched area bulges outward (to the point
where the surface of the shoulders themselves actually "cup"). This
outward bulge also results in felt being pulled away from the crown,
putting that under additional tension. (Hopefully both shoulders get
the treatment, so these side-effects are equally balanced on both
sides.) All this just to loosen up the shoulders.

There's nothing wrong with Aaahnold-like shoulder muscles, in
applying the alc/water or fabric softener to the shoulder (leaving
the crowns untreated). Except that it's not instant magic.

The pliers I will use are the duckbill type. One jaw below the
shoulders, the other starting at 2 o'clock and being dragged over the
crown. Deep-pressure massage for cramped muscles. The same effect can
be gotten with a tuning fork or a CF tool. On some hammers this lasts
along time, on others it bangs back up, but not until the day after
the concert. But it's immediate.

I also used to do "sugar-coating" with a solder brush, essentially a
wire brush in the style of an artist paint-brush. But I decided that
if all this was doing was raking the crown fibers out of their
interlocked matt, it was far more destructive than standard crown
needling.