Mason & Hamlin AA scale.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:21:50 -0500

>    In the case of the Mason AA which I started this thread discussing
> there is any reticence at least on my part to improve this piano. My only
> (major) limitation is the plate But which is also true of the old Stwy A
> being currently mentioned. I have reproduced one of those with the
> original bridge & string scale & with a really good board & bearing setup
> it was quite good. In retrospect though the next one will probably get a
> closer look in the modification dept. I'm not a fan of the three bridge config.

I am, more and more, a big fan of the three bridge configuration. In fact,
if I were designing a new piano and could design a plate I wanted (rather
than working around the existing one), I'd still give first consideration
to using three bridges. The poor examples of three bridge configurations we
see aren't the result of using three bridges instead of two. They're the
result of poor scale AND soundboard design. Rather than trying to tweak the
existing scale on top of the original soundboard design, you would be ahead
building a board designed to accommodate the bridges designed to
accommodate the scale designed to accommodate the existing plate.

There are at least two people posting to this list who do this sort of
re-design on a per-piano basis (as opposed to having a specifically
established template for every model of every manufacturer that ever
existed). Del is one, and I am another. But you knew that.

Ron N