Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:44:04 +0200

Stéphane Collin wrote:

> Do I see right, in the picture, that the note at the left side of the
> srut seems to have a shorter speaking length than the note at the
> right (or am I fooled by the persepctive of the pic) ?  And that at
> the right of the strut, choirs have three same speaking length, while
> at the left the three speaking length per choir are different (as Dale
> pointed out) ?
> Makes me think (like the limited range of front duplex) that they
> didn't like monotonous uniformity of sound all over the scale, back then.

I think the picture is fooling you on that point. Tho when I go back in
October I can take a few more shots to give a better view.  You are
right about the top section unisions all having the same length and the
left side having different tho.  Well, like I said at the outset... you
fellows that are actually building these things have probably seen this
all many times before... it just struck me as something I hadnt noticed,
and so I thought I'd ask about it.

Cheers
RicB