Fw: Hammer felt separation

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:25:20 -0600

I've had good results with glue and, while clamped, Dremmel-drilling two
small holes through the felt tails and the molding then pulling though a
loop of picture-hanging wire (solid, not braided) and twisting tight,
clipping the excess and folding the twist down flat to the molding. I
make the twist on the underside of the hammer so the visible part ends
up looking like a staple.

I don't know if this is really any more secure than glue alone, but it
makes me feel better about doing the "next best thing," rather than
replacing the hammers, and customers seemed pleased with it.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love [mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 7:38 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Fw: Hammer felt separation

I'd probably reglue them if I wasn't replacing them.  Depending on how
many there are, you can take a couple of blocks of wood and cove out one
side on the end of a belt sander so that you can put them on either side
of the hammer and pull them together with a clamp after working in a bit
of glue.

David Love
HYPERLINK
"mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net"davidlovepianos@earthlink.net