changing harmonicity

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 10:58:41 +1100

Joe, Richard et al,

At 7:47 PM +0100 5/3/04, Richard Brekne wrote:

>Actually... unless I am mistaken again.. tension works in to this
>only indirectly, in as much as it is the stiffness factor we are
>after here. More tension yeilds higher stiffness all other things
>being equal.

As Joe rightly claimed, tension affects inharmonicity in a very
direct way. After all, it is the stiffness of the wire which causes
inharmonicity in the first instance. If you think of a speaking
length string segment at the moment during the cycle when it is
farthest from its resting position (ie. at 90 and 270 degrees), if
the string did not have some quantifiable stiffness, the speaking
length would flex right up to the string length termination. But this
doesn't happen in a real-world piano. Due to the wire's stiffness,
there is some reluctance on the part of the wire to deflect right to
the end terminations. Consider the situation further as it exists at
the termination. On the speaking length side of the termination the
speaking length is trying to pull the 'reluctant string zone'
(adjacent to the termination) along with its own excursions from
rest, while the duplex or counter-bearing segment (on the other side
of the termination) is trying to hold the 'reluctant string zone'
steady. Both will have influence so there is certain to be some loss
of string activity at the speaking length zone near the termination.
The stiffer the wire the greater the effect, the higher the tension
the less the effect. The higher tension will force more of the
'reluctant string zone', adjacent to the terminations, to be active.

So while a higher string tension increases the string's ability to
resist the blow of the hammer, it also forces a higher percentage of
the speaking length segment to be active, lowering inharmonicity.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers