changing harmonicity

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 13:32:18 -0800 (PST)

Yes, and the further up the harmonic sequence we go,
the further from the theoretical termination points
for string vibration do the vibrating segments shrink,
due to wire stiffness, causing the upper harmonics to
swerve radically askew from the ideal, creating
harshness. Which is why so many small pianos sound so
yucky: heavy gauge wires pulled to higher tensions, in
an effort to excite an inadequately sized soundboard =
excessive stiffness = wildly askew harmonics.
     Combine that with hard hammers ( which favor the
upper partials ) and you get the utterly delightful
"BanjoTone" of which I am so very, very fond.
     Thump