Seiler 180 voicing, frontscale noise questions

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 02:50:04 EST

Roger, David

Thanks for the suggestions.  I hope that these are the problems, and that
they are not of the "Phyllis Diller" variety(Ron, you may have come up with
something lasting here....).

This job won't take place for another month or so, but I have permission from
the dealer that sold the piano to use a floor piano as a guinea pig.

Dave S.

roger.j@sasktel.net writes:

>                 I would pull the capo sections a beat or so sharp to the
> centre.   Lift the strings You will find the tone will get stronger and sustain
> better.  After shaping and shoe shining hammers, fit them to the strings.  Re
> tune to A440.  The string lifting/leveling, and hammer fitting will have
> dropped the pitch back into range with the centre section.
>
> This will have cut down on the leakage into the forward duplex. For the
> worst 'zingers',  move the strings around on the capo bar, it can help to burnish
> off any cups in the bar.  Lift again and re tune.
>
> Now you are ready to start on the hammers.   Renner Blues I like to use a
> single long needle  and go in very deep at 1-2 o'clock range.   aiming for the
> tip of the molding About 5 or 6 insertions per shoulder usually will do the
> trick.
>
> Very lightly needle the crowns, as needed to remove any impact noise!!!!!
>
> Frequently I can lift strings, fit and shape hammers, and never take the
> needles from the box.
>
> Treat the problems and not the symptoms.

After creating some resilience by deep needling in the 9:30 - 10:30 and 1:30
- 2:30 shoulder of the hammer (this may have already been done), to eliminate
noise in the capo section, deep needle from 10:30 - 11:30 and from 12:30 to
1:30.  Aim for a point where the felt joins the moulding on each side of the
hammer.  That will put the needle parallel to the moulding at the 11:30 and 12:30
position and angled slightly in toward the moulding as you move away from the
strike point.    Stay away from and don't stitch under the crown.  Use a
single needle and insert it to it's full length, 8 mm's or so.  Be sure that the
hammer has a good shape and is not flattened on the top.  Do not mute the
duplex, it will kill the tone too much.   Don't voice this section in isolation.
Check back and forth against the tenor section to keep the piano balanced.

David Love
<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>