New Tuner

trc3j@juno.com trc3j@juno.com
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 08:46:38 -0500

Thanks,

I too went for the peterson. It just came last week so I still have time
to send it back. I have read the manual and 'played' with it some. I am
going to try to use it later today to 'tune' and old piano that belongs
to a friend. It was given to them by a church last summer. Don't remember
the brand. I have worked on it once before by ear just mainly for
practice. I could tell that it was well below my tuning fork so I just
tried to make it sound as good as I could within that range. My friends
are not to picky about the outcome. They couldn't afford to buy a piano
so they were happy to have one given to them and they are happy if I can
get it to sound better that it did. It was difficult to get it to hold
but I did manage to make it sound better. The bass strings were really
dirty and just sort of thud. I am told that it sound bad again as I
expected it would. I want to do the best I can for them so any advise
would be appreciated. I realize from reading the other posts on here that
I am currently in way over my head and you 'old' guys can feel free to
have a nice chuckle at my expense. However, I have to start somewhere,
right?

Back to the Peterson. I think I can make it work for me but I am a little
frustrated with it. Mainly by its size. I am not sure how to position it
to get the best results. I think I will try it for a few tunings. The
greater expense of a newer tech tuner is a little daunting right now.

Tim