The Horowitz Steinway

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 07:40:49 EST

Joe writes:
<< >Hmmmm? When I saw the piano, it was accompanied by Franz. At that time he
>stated that it had NOT been changed, in any way! Now either Franz was lying
>or he was unaware of any changes made. How do you explain this?<G>

Bill reples:
>>What year was the when you saw this piano. If it was after his death
in 11/89, it would have most likely be the piano which the Steinway
factory put a new action in (including keyboard) and then sent on
tour as the "Horowitz Piano". I remember seeing it at M. Steinert in
Boston in 12/91 (though it could have been '90). >>

Greetings,
    I was able to examine this piano at the factory shortly after it was
returned from Horowitz's use, (Spring of 1990, I think). It was sitting in the
back area near the teaching classroom and loading docks.  It was as others have
mentioned, hard,small hammers, weak springs, late dampers, hair-breath let-off
and drop,etc.
  When the "Horowitz piano" went out on tour,  Nashville was its second stop,
(IIRC).  While it was sitting on the Blair stage, I was able to once again
take a look.  New shanks, hammers, whippens, dampers and strings. But the keys
were the same.  What I found interesting was that the soundboard was exhibiting
no downbearing in the middle!  This was the same as it had been in the
factory.
 David Grossi, who was head of the restoration dept told me, personally, that
all the parts had been changed and that the old ones, to his knowledge, had
been thrown away.

Ed Foote RPT