D.H. Baldwin short grand

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:01:35 -0500

Bass Strings: I've seen this on cheap Asian pianos, even on Yamaha, usually
at about ten plus years old. Yamaha tech support admitted to me that this
was a result of higher tension scale design. It makes the wire more
susceptible to work hardening. Explain it in those terms and that other
strings will continue to break one or two at a time. Then sell a new bass
string job using some high quality Arledge strings. Ask them to replicate
with a lower tension design.

Pedal Block: Seems like I've seen this same thing on a DH Baldwin and
others. Is it coming apart at the glue joints of the giant dowels? Open up
the pedal block so you have access to the ends of those dowels and use thin
CA glue (I use Kwick Kleen variety). Apply a liberal amount of glue to the
end grain of those dowels and let it soak in as much as it will take. The
glue will swell the wood and then set eventually (I am convinced this is
what happens in a pin block as well). After five minutes or so, spray
accelerator around the joint and make a final application to the joint. I
find that without this step, not enough glue is left in the joint as it
wants to all absorb into the wood before it sets. I've never had one come
apart. This also works for legs that are separated (kitchen chairs, too!).

Blessings,

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272