Pinblocks, CA & Dope - an update

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:37:24 -0500

I=92ve done several of these all with excellent results. To date, I=92ve =
not found one instance where it would not work. Usually I only use =BD =
to =BE of a 2 oz bottle, using a hypo oiler to apply. This gives very =
good control. Occasionally, 2 or 3 pins may need re-treated. In one =
extreme case, I removed the pin, squirted CA glue down the hole and =
replaced the pin. Worked wonderfully. I am convinced it works by =
swelling and setting the wood, not by bonding the pin to the wood or =
filling gaps with glue. This is why it continues to work years after its =
application and multiple tunings that would otherwise destroy the joint.
=20
2 bottles of glue is way overkill from my experience, if you are using 2 =
oz bottles.=20
=20
For a very quick fix (on junk spinets that are otherwise destined for =
scrap), it is possible to apply without laying the piano down. Just =
apply to the base of the pin with the hypo oiler and it goes in. Be very =
careful not to apply too much so that it runs down the strings onto the =
damper felts. Ask me how I know.=20
=20
Dean
=20