Pinblocks, CA & Dope - an update

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:42:51 -0700

Terry,
I just went back to tune a old upright piano today that I had treated with
CA via syringe with the piano standing up, there was little room for laying
it down.  I had the same problem with the deep bass rapidly swinging the
tuning hammer back as soon as I let go of it.  I followed the treatment
with a pitch-raise.  I did the upper first and then came back down to the
pins I had treated.
The second time around I lowered the pitch first in case any CA had made it
down to the pins on the plate just below the tuning pins.  There was a
definite feel of "breaking loose".  I was worried about that but the torque
staid good for this, the second tuning.  More loose pins have turned up in
the treble as well as a lot of false beats in the killer octave.  I tried
leveling the strings below the pressure bar but that didn't make much
difference so I'll be looking at CAing the pins on the bridge, maybe;
removing the strings first from them might not fit their budget.  Has a lot
of loose center pins too, flat and grooved hammers etc. just have to
convince them to buy a new piano.

Andrew