[Files] knuckle pic

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:31:50 -0800

I have a sample kit of Abel parts that I got from Wally Brooks.  Basically,
I weighed the strike weight of the hammer assembly on a sample note and
also measured the corresponding balance weight ((UW + DW)/2).  Then I took
a sample shank and wrapped a piece of lead solder around the end of the
shank to duplicate the SW of the original sample (easier than trying to
find a hammer just the right weight).  Put it on the piano and measured the
balance weight again.  It was closest to the original with the 18mm flange.
Abel and Renner both make a 17mm flange but only Abel makes an 18 mm
flange.  Since there was a bit more lead in the key than I would like at
the target strike weight for that note, I opted for the 18mm flange.
Double checked the regulation as well.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net