Seeking industry information

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:28:12 +1100

Hello all,

Some of you who were at the 2001 Reno National convention may
remember Mark O'Shea, who was working for us at the time. Well after
a stint working in LA we are pleased to have him working back with us
again. Mark is interested in obtaining certain piano industry
information. Some of you may be able to assist. If you would prefer
to email Mark privately that would be fine also. His email address is;

mailto:mark@overspianos.com.au

The questions Mark has asked me to relay to the Pianotech
brains-trust are as follows;

1. At the present time, how many grand pianos are manufactured
globally per year?
60,000 (1997) - from the US International Trade Commission report, May 1999

2. How much do major manufacturers such as Baldwin, Kawai, Samick,
Steinway, Yamaha pay for agraffes? (This may vary widely but all
information would be helpful)

3. What percentage of agraffes are rejected during installation?
Several years ago I heard that Yamaha reject around 35 % of their
agraffes, ie. those which do not come into alignment at an
appropriate torque figure (I know that hearsay is very dangerous but
we have to start somewhere).

4. How long does it take for a competent factory installer to fit a
set of agraffes?

5. At what rate might the above factory worker be paid per hour?

Thanks in advance, should anyone have relevant information that they
would be willing to provide.

Best regards,
Ron O.

--