Voicing the CFlll

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:58:06 -0700

Well, Phil, I'd be glad to tell you my reason for telling you to stay =
away from the steam. The CFSIII is a concert instrument. Steam is a fine =
little tool to have in your bag of tricks for the occasional harsh =
little home piano, and will help you get it in a bearable condition in =
the least amount of time.  However, my impression of the steam method, =
having used it in the past, is that it will free up the outer layers of =
felt, giving you a lot less impact noise, but underneath that cushion is =
still a very hard core of felt, which isn't going to be very resilient.=20
    On a CFS, you want a great dynamic range, which means that you want =
everything to be at optimum levels, a resilient hammer, good shape, =
level head, mated strings, concert regulation and all that. It may be =
more work, but transforming a concert instrument into what it is capable =
is worth all the effort that you put into it.
    For what it's worth, I like to deep needle down low on the shoulder, =
to bring out the sustain, around 1:30 to 3:00.  You have to be careful =
with this when you get into Octave five, otherwise you can end up =
voicing it too far. From Octave 5 on up, use a single needle sparingly. =
Once I have the shoulders opened up, if the hammer still has too much =
attack, then it's hard on the crown, and I use a single needle up at =
11:00 and 1:00, or at the end of the string marks. That rounds out the =
attack tone quite well. =20

    Some times it just pays to do it the old fashioned way.

Kevin.

   ----- Original Message -----=20