OT - Photoshop help

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:56:24 -0500

Hi Phil,

I use PaintShop Pro, but the method is probably similar.  The .gif image has
256 colors in its palette.  You will have to define which of those colors is
transparent.  In PaintShop Pro, it's done with Colors/Set Palette
Transparency.

Here's the catch, though:  Let's say your background is white.  Well, you
may have 139 colors that are all white.  You still have to choose the
correct "white," in order to make it work.  One way to do this is to use a
tool to select a color from the image.  Select the background, whatever it
is.  In Paintshop Pro, there will be a palette number displayed on the color
selection bar.  Anyway, select that color as the background.  Then set the
transparent color to the background value.

Hint:  Make sure the background all uses the same palette entry.  If it
doesn't, select all the background with the appropriate tool, and re-paint
it with the appropriate color.  In Paintshop Pro, this is most easily done
by setting the desired background color, selecting an area, and then hitting
<del>.  Also make sure that the palette entry you define as transparent
isn't used somewhere in the foreground image.  This is most easily done by
making the background some very conspicuous color, like lime green.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Sarah