Peace -- OT

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:19:42 -0500

Hi all,

Something unprecedented has happened!  Jean-Jacques stole my "peace" =
signature!  ;-)  (In truth, I encouraged him to use it in a private =
email.)

Ever since I've signed on to this list, I've gotten private emails =
inquiring about my "peace" signature, why I use it, etc.  I have also =
gotten occasional positive commentary on list.  Quite predictably, for =
anyone else who is curious, I am one of those awful "peacenik" sorts.  I =
come by it honestly, ever since childhood, when my two first cousins =
were in peril in Vietnam in a war that seemed senseless to me.  None of =
you knew me prior to 9-11, but I used the "peace" signature in my emails =
then, too.  I have always used it as a reminder that there are =
intelligent alternatives to war and violence.  Much to my amazement, =
people do seem to pause over my signature and ponder this issue.

Anyway, the only reason I'm writing this email is to encourage everyone =
who feels as I do to please use the "peace" signature themselves.  =
There's no trademark on the expression!  Peace should be more contagious =
than war, and *speaking* peace is the first step towards waging it.  In =
a world turned violent, in which hundreds of innocent people are =
slaughtered on Spanish trains, let's speak peace!  Let's spread peace =
through gentle reminders to our friends and even our enemies!  Only =
peace will save us.

Peace,
Sarah

P.S.  The timing of this email is no small coincidence.  I am half =
Spanish, and I have immediate relatives in Spain.  I would truly be =
honored for people to recognize the Spanish victims with the simple word =
of "peace."