Beats vs cycles vs cents

Don Gilmore dgilmore@kcmpi.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:21:38 -0600

Sure you do, Ric.  Cents are what it's all about.  Cents ARE what you =
perceive in pitch.  Being off 100 cents takes you to the next note.  50 =
cents takes you half way there, no matter what note you're on.  Ten =
cents out of tune sounds like ten cents out of tune, no matter what your =
beat frequency is.  As you said, there are minor discrepancies when =
tuning, but you are pedantically missing the point. =20

Using beats to tune a string is just a convenient crutch.  It wouldn't =
do you much good when tuning a solo clarinet, would it?  To tune an A0 =
(27.5 Hz) to a beat frequency of one cycle per second in comparison to =
another A0 string would require it to be at 27.5 + 1 =3D 28.5 Hz.  This =
is 62 cents sharp!  That's wayyyyy off.  It's closer to Bb!  And 62 =
cents sharp sounds just as bad for A0 as it would for C7, or A-440, or =
any other note. =20

For comparison, a beat frequency of 1 Hz for C7 only means it's less =
than half a cent off!

Beats are a phenomenon related to the *difference* in frequency =
(subtraction); cents are a phenomenon related to the *ratio* of =
frequencies (division), which is what music itself is based on.  Sure, =
you can hear beats, but as you can see it really has no relationship to =
what you hear pitch-wise at all.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City=20