Floating soundboards

Jean-Jacques Granas jjgranas@zigzag.pl
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:23:07 +0100

Hello list,

I am slowly getting ready to restore an old (1896 as it turns out) =
Bluthner 6'3'' grand.=20

I will most probably float the soundboard in the deep base. I won't need =
to glue new ribs and there are none in the far corner that would =
interfere. I will probably also replace the board (and ribs) as it has =
collapsed and I am wondering just how long should this float (cut/rip) =
should be. What are the criteria involved in deciding on the length of =
the cut? How do factors such as thickness of the board, distance of bass =
bridge to rim come into play here?

Another question I have been wondering about is whether anyone has ever =
floated the soundboard at the high treble end, along the short side, =
perpendicularly to the end of the bridge. What are the likely results of =
such an experiment. Btw the treble end float idea is just theoretical =
curiosity.

Can someone with experience in this matter share a few thoughts ?

Thanks,

Peace,

Jean-Jacques Granas
Warsaw, Poland