vertical regulation time

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:09:38 -0600

Joe,

> First of all, the Repair Labor Guide is your answer to the
> query of "time for regulation". It is available from The Randy Potter
School of Piano
> Technology.

Thanks for telling me where to get this. I ordered it today from Randy
and also ordered Newton's guide from PTG.

> Secondly, most of the items you listed have to do with
> reconditioning, NOT regulation. Regulation is adjusting and refining
the
> tolerances of movement of the piano mechanism, only.

OK, appreciate your clearing that up. There was a lot of "stuff" that
needed to be done before regulation.

> Personally, I would charge your hourly rate, whatever that may be.
> Beginners, etc., should have a lower hourly rate. This will
> help offset the longer times to do jobs. Fair is fair. After all, you
did put
> in the time, so you should be compensated for it. A serious chat with
the
> dealer should produce an equitable agreement.

Again, thanks - it's quite helpful. I know I can make $XXX.00 per day
doing tuning and service work. I certainly don't want to short myself,
but I also want to be fair. I've spent a lot of time learning this trade
and try to always do the best I can. We shouldn't work for pennies -
there aren't that many people who can do what we do, and we deserve
compensation for our time.

John Formsma