Loose tuning pins on a Samick

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:28:10 -0600

Daniel,

<<< Most of the pins were on the looser side but still held except three
pins in the bass. I would pull them up to pitch, and they would fall flat as
soon as I let go of the tuning hammer.  >>>

<<<Will solving the humidity problem (by installing a Dampp-Chaser or
putting a humidifier in the room) help tighten up the pins enough to cause
the loose bass pins to hold?>>>

Not the three very loose pins.  I service a Steinway L with the same problem
in the very low bass. On Friday I will be trying CA glue for the two that
are very loose. Why not try CA first and see what a DC system will do for
the rest? I certainly wouldn't mention to the customer that a DC system
would tighten the pins. If the wood around the pins has been compressed too
much, it won't help.

You can do a variety of things for loose tuning pins, depending on the
quality of the instrument and the severity of the problem.

John Formsma