Loose tuning pins on a Samick

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:08:54 -0700

Daniel, you'll hear a lot of good advice from the board about fixing the =
loose pins. If they're all loose, you can probably re-pin with the next =
size pins. I had a Kawai here in Phoenix that had loose pins, and they =
send out .286 pins, and I thought "That's cant possibly be right" but =
they ended up being, if nothing else, almost too tight. (I tried a few =
of the worse one first, of course). =20
    The reason for my post, is that I don't understand how a damp-chaser =
could really help the pin tightness on a grand.  I don't see how the =
humidity could possibly get up to the pinblock. On a vertical, sure, but =
a grand? =20

It would, of course be in the customers interests to get some humidity =
control on her central heating unit, if it's electric, that is. I =
understand that you can buy them for almost the same price as a =
damp-chaser, and condition the whole home, instead of just the piano.

Just a few random thoughts,

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: daniel carlton=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 9:42 AM
  Subject: Loose tuning pins on a Samick

  I tuned this particular Samick grand for the first time the other day =
(5 foot 7 inch, model SG-172). Before I started, the customer said the =
last technician mentioned that some of the tuning pins were loose in one =
section, and that it wasn't holding a tuning well. One of the first =
things I noticed was how warm and dry the room felt. I asked the =
customer about this and she said this room was always the warmest in the =
house. The piano, by the way, is situated between two central air =
ceiling vents (about 2 or three feet from either end of the piano).