Loose tuning pins on a Samick

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:42:25 -0700

Jim,
Yeah, I was joking.  This was a Steinway upright in relatively good shape
moved to a castle up on top of a mountain near Aspen where RH could drop to
low single digits and then climb again to something approaching normal in
rainy weather.  There were hammers dragging on each other and keys doing
the same.  I strongly recommended a Dampp-Chaser system and eventually
installed it (something like 5% on the day I tested it).  All the action
problems resolved and the tuning pins tightened up to a much better torque.
I install these on grands too, sound board protection and tuning
preservation.  If the piano is covered more is benefited, humidity will
cycle through a closed piano too, just not as well as an upright.

Andrew