"shaving" old key leads

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:45:14 EST

<< > If anyone has a better idea for removing this excess lead, (short of
> replacing the leads) I'd LOVE to hear it! Thanks!

          Use a forstner bit in the drill press. It just shaves it off. Run
some air on it to help keep it cool. Yes it will dull the bit eventually but
it
shaves it clean without dust & requires no sanding. Your surface is smooth
and shiny. You sacrifice a five dollar bit for  the de -lead effort, so what.

Hmm,  I have been in the habit of just knocking the old ones out and putting
in a new one.  It is not only a permanent repair, but doesn't create as much
lead dust in the shop.  This is one case where the new parts don't cost
significantly more than the labor, (it also preserves the original weight, whatever
that is worth).
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT