There's always a hitch

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:42:57 -0600

Hi Cy,

At 10:45 PM 3/22/04, you wrote:
>I'm afraid I'm misunderstanding you (or not getting a joke?).  Do you get
>single strings with premade coils?

Yes, that's what I've done in one instance of restringing a Bose. They came
in a big box
and are installed just like one would a bass string.

>I was responding to the comment that single strings would save time in a
>factory setting...

Sorry if "I" misunderstood. :-) In a factory, of course, they would have a
very
efficient way of making all those individual coils.

>I've only helped in a restringing by standing at the tail end and
>threading the up through the bridge pins, but it sure seems that after an
>octave or so, you'd really be into the rhythm of it: three fingers past
>the pin hole, snip, thread through pin, make right angle for becket, three
>turns with the T-handle, pound it in, lift the coil, and tighten it up a
>little more.

Don't forget to also squeeze the becket in tightly!

>  My guess is it takes experienced people, what, maybe two hours to string
> a grand?  It's awesome to see.

Maybe but I know I'M no where close to 2 hours! :-) Of course, I don't do
but maybe
2-3 a year, either.

>--Cy--

Avery