Scaling Programs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:29:13 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2004 8:32:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:

Well, yes, I wouldn't dream of replacing a set of bass strings without
running it thru Pscale.  When I find a scale that's "good enough"  I can just
replace what's there, can't I?  IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET!!  You work on better pianos
than I do.  I just acquired a Mason Hamlin upright from 1903.  I was told by
xxx  "Don't mess with it.  They are great pianos."  Needless to say, the scale
was much much worse that I had expected.  It's my dam piano and I'll do to it
what I want.!!!!!!!
          Carl
  I was referring to the plain wire. I know bass scales can vary a great
deal. But even those that do don't often sound that bad. What I usually pickup on
is difference in loudness & a thin sound in the top end of many bass scales. A
steinway L from the twenties is scaled at close to 70% of its breaking
strength in notes 20 thru 26 & they sound great even when 70 tears old. Most makers
will reduce the tension there & the sound in my opinion suffers greatly.
Whimpy sounding.  Try to get a bass string maker to replicate this. I'm always told
thats to high. I wonder how that would look on a P scale & what desicion
you'd make. I don't think it would be an improvement.
  But Hey define good enough. Is that "good enough" at average tensions of
150lbs Or 180lbs or what? Computers are great but some of this is still done by
ear in the final analysis.  With the exception of small verticals I never sat
there during tuning thinking wow this piano is hard to tune because of the
messed up string scaling i.e. Mason Steinway , Baldwin,Kimball Sohmer or
whatever. Usually what changes in scaling heavier or lighter wire is the tone. It gets
darker or brighter but I don't usually have trouble fitting in the intervals.
Know what I mean?

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357