Journal Artical - BAD IDEA!

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:02:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: Journal Artical - BAD IDEA!

> In a message dated 22/03/04 11:48:14 PM, cmpiano@comcast.net writes:
>
> <<  but my caution is that each clamp along the wall
>
> or ceiling will create a loop allowing moisture to collect. >>
>
> This is in regard to 'air hose' runs..............In theory this is
correct
> but as usual theory and reality don't needfully always conincide. :-) A
well
> designed air system has at least two moisture traps....one placed close to
the
> compessor and one placed at the working end termination. These traps will
> sufficiently  remove any moisture which is trapped in the supply line. As
with any
> material used for air line 'air hose' should be installed such that a
drain
> direction is well established...taking any "loops" into account of course.
>

> << The rigid
>
> copper tubing should be installed with about 1/4 inch per foot drop.  Each
>
> low spot can be fitted with a drain.  Moisture then will be expelled.  A
>
> compressor running continuously will heat the air and hot air will carry
>
> moisture through the traps.  >>
>
>  Unfortunately copper tubing creates its own moisture/condensation
droplets
> as the air entrained/moving heats up and cools down and thus a copper
system
> requires more in the way of moisture traps than any other piping system
that I
> am aware of. Copper is a terrific conducter of heat/cold and thus is
always
> either heating or cooling the air as it passes through the line. Of course
you
> could insulate the lines but that just raises the cost higher. A well
designed
> copper system is great ..........but the cost of such is the highest of
any of
> the options.

Interesting points and I should let this thread die a natural death in vain,
but I love arguing with you so much that I'm going to take issue with you.
(G)

I was not aware that copper tubing had the ability to create moisture out of
thin air.  If there was no moisture in the air, where did it come from?  As
I said warm air will carry moisture right thru a trap.  Only when the air
has cooled will it give up it's moisture.  If the copper tubing will
condense the moisture, that's a good thing, isn't it?  Insulating the tubing
prevents it from doing its job.  Anyway, most of us have systems that work
well because we don't have  a lot of air requirements.
When I did a job requiring three days of routing out the bottom of a pin
block, my poor compressor got so hot it squirted cold air all over my hand.
That's when I learned that hot air retains moisture and cold air releases
it.  Large commercial air systems use an after cooler to allow the moisture
to condense before the air reaches the system.  Thanks for your input.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.