there's always a hitch

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:42:57 -0800

"All bass strings have the single coils!"

Nomenclature police here! Please guys/gals, the topic is in regard to the
LOOPS of the strings! Coils are what is on the tuning pin(s).
BTW, I was taught that the short loop is called a "German Loop". Of which
there are two types. One where the loop is once around the hitchpin. The
second is with twice around the hitchpin. (The later I hate! grrrr! try and
get one of them puppies off some time!)
The long loop, which is normally seen on modern bass strings is an "English
Loop". This is the one that adds a tremendous amount of stiffness to the
back scale. And if done wrong, will unravel! :-(
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I