New wheels for a Yamaha U3

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:57:01 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Dean May
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 8:37 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: New wheels for a Yamaha U3

 >>       I've installed twin dollies available from Schaff or Jansen
many
times on school pianos and they work very well  . The Schaff set is
around $100 and Jansen $120. I'm not sure if there is much difference
between them but I'm not sure. Maybe the Jansen set has better casters.

Just a word of caution: The problem I've seen with these twin dollies is
that they don't support the piano where it was designed to be supported,
particularly the key bed, which allows sagging. I've seen pianos in
institutional settings with these dollies with regulation problems and
eventually loose keybeds.
Dean

Dean
Dean,
	Interesting point but I do not quite understand how the dollies
can effect key bed support.
	The arms of the piano are screwed and or glued to the side and
the key bed is secured to the arm.  Indeed the front casters are no
longer on the ground but with the dollies positioned as far to the end
of the piano I feel there is a wider base of support for the piano. Your
observation would lead one to the conclusion that every vertical piano
with "European" styling I.E. no front legs would develop a sagging key
bed.
	I've installed these for over 20 years on mostly Hamilton's,
Everett and Yamaha 45" studios and have never seen a sagging or loose
key bed associated with the use of these dollies
	Respectfully
	Tom Driscoll RPT

P.S. I forgot to mention that I remove the old casters ---They don't
touch the floor anymore and will rattle-buzz.