New wheels for a Yamaha U3

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:10:04 -0500

Dean,
        Interesting point but I do not quite understand how the dollies
can effect key bed support.
        The arms of the piano are screwed and or glued to the side and
the key bed is secured to the arm.  Indeed the front casters are no
longer on the ground but with the dollies positioned as far to the end
of the piano I feel there is a wider base of support for the piano. Your
observation would lead one to the conclusion that every vertical piano
with "European" styling I.E. no front legs would develop a sagging key
bed.
        I've installed these for over 20 years on mostly Hamilton's,
Everett and Yamaha 45" studios and have never seen a sagging or loose
key bed associated with the use of these dollies

The European style keybeds are not designed to be supported at the front.

You are correct in that everything is mechanically connected. But you are
straining joints in a way that they were not designed to be strained. And
you are putting a torsional strain on the bottom board that it was never
intended to carry. However, your experience is with better quality pianos.
Seems like where I've seen it is on some Gulbransens and a Young Chang.

 I used to work as a design engineer in the automotive industry. As a
designer you try to design for all sorts of contingencies. But sometimes you
also count on foundational issues to not be disturbed. I always use the full
carriage dolly that supports the piano on all four corners- where it was
designed to be supported. I don't even offer the cheaper model. If they buy
from me, my name is on it, and I want no problems down the road. They can
get the cheaper variety at the music store or through their own catalogs,
but not from me. Your experience may vary. ;-)

Blessings,

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272