loose loose tuning pins

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 06:34:40 -0600

Julia,

I've had a piano that did not respond to two treatments. It holds barely,
but not well enough for fine tuning. In fact, on this small grand, I had
tipped the piano upside down to apply a LOT of CA to the underside of the
block. It was disappointing to find out that when the piano was upright
again it hadn't worked, although another application from the top helped a
tiny bit.

I always tell the customer that CA might not work.

Repinning is needed when you have loose pins, and there is enough money to
pay your labor. :-) But, always educate the customer about rebuilding and
better performance the piano will have.

You can keep the old wire when restringing, but it's just as easy to replace
with new.

John Formsma

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
  Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 6:50 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: loose loose tuning pins

  Greetings.

               How tight can CA glue make really loose tuning pins? Is there
a limitation to it's effectiveness. I would think if they are really loose,
(so loose that you can actually see a tuning hammer ride back as fast as the
sweep second hand of a watch!) that maybe 4 treatments on those pins might
do the trick, but I don't know. Any suggestions? What sanctions a repinning
job? If one does re-pin a piano must all the strings be replaced with new
ones or can you re-string the old back on?

  Julia Gottchall
  Reading, PA