loose loose tuning pins

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:17:57 -0500

Have you tried it, Julia? I have on pins just as you described. Within =
20 minutes they were tight enough to hold tension and even tighter the =
next time I was out to tune some months later. And really, that is all =
the tighter they need to be: to hold the tension. One application should =
do the trick. If you have a problem pin, pull it out, squirt some glue =
directly into the hole and reinsert the old pin. I've never had this not =
work. Do not use accelerator.
=20
When I do this treatment I always make it clear to the customer that the =
piano still needs to be rebuilt. All I am doing is buying some time.=20
=20
If you are only going to change the pins, I wouldn't bother. That is no =
more effective a fix than applying the CA glue, IMHO. In fact, applying =
CA glue is more effective because it will not add stress to existing =
cracks or delaminations as oversize pins often do. It will do just the =
opposite. CA glue will work to fill those voids, stop future propagation =
of cracks, and add strength to the wood.
=20
Did you read my posts on the subject from a couple of weeks ago? If not, =
I can email them to you privately.

Blessings,
=20
Dean