Backcheck repair

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:22:59 -0400

You might have one, where the wire has broken of, level with the wood.
I have found the best way to remove the broken wire, is to drill a hole from below, and punch it out.
Put the new wire in the hole with epoxy, and screw the original head, or a new one on. Aligning with its neighbours.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: trc3j@juno.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 7:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Backcheck repair

  Yes, sorry, I thought about that after I sent.
  Wood and wire are gone. There may be some remnant in the wippen. I suspect I will have to clean out the hole and then glue in the new parts. New wire is threaded at the top so I am wondering if glue will be necessary on that end. If I find that the hole in the wippen is broken can it be repaired or should it be replaced? Hope that is enough detail.

  Tim