Thanks and Coffee

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:05:50 -0500

On Mar 29, 2004, at 8:29 AM, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

>  =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Coffee: A health =
conscious piano tech school pier=20
> told me last year that coffee affects your hearing.

Yeah, swilling too much coffee can (in my experience) bring on some of=20=

the symptoms of tinnitis (ringing), but I doubt it's the permanent=20
damage incurred from rock concert attendance, working with power tools,=20=

or tuning pianos without some kind of hearing protection.

>  I found this to be somewhat true. My brother says it affects your=20
> short term memory and mental sharpness.

Well -- again, nonscientific self observation: without some coffee in=20
the morning, I feel distinctly dull in the morning. On the other hand,=20=

if I'm dragging in the afternoon, and think "hey another cup will help=20=

me get through the afternoon's work!", I usually regret it. I'm much=20
more likely to be impatient with problematic customers and pianos, and=20=

even the wife, kids, and pets when I get home. Afternoon caffeine is a=20=

really bad idea, at least for me. Patience is a cardinal virtue.

Solution? Cut the morning coffee at least 50% with decaf. Go to bed=20
much earlier and get the 8 or more hours of sleep that we're wired for=20=

but seldom achieve. Etc.

Good luck! Starbuck's New Guinea Peaberry is quite addictive!

Patrick

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched