Balance Rail Holes - Worn

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:22:07 -0500

How does one determine the perfect position for the shim? I can imagine =
this to be a fairly easy task on an action that has keys of equal =
length. But this piano is a nine-foot Wissner where the bass keys are =
longer than the treble keys - so its not like I can just set up a jig =
with a "good" key and make the repairs to match the "good" key - all the =
keys are different lengths. Ideas?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul Chick (Earthlink)=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 8:36 AM
  Subject: RE: Balance Rail Holes - Worn

    Is there any danger using a hard-wood veneer like maple that it =
might be noisy? Is there any preference to use something a little softer =
- like maybe fine-grained spruce or poplar?

    Terry Farrell

    > Hi Terry,
    > I have had great success repairing this type of damage using maple =
veneer. Mount a balance rail pin in a scrap board, position key upside =
down and saw a kerf the thickness of the veneer about 1/4 inch deep =
using the balance rail pin as a guide. Glue the veneer in this kerf and =
you will have a permanent repair. =20
    > Norman Barrett
    > Memphis Chapter=20
    >=20
    > Hello Listees,
    >=20
    > I'm rastling with the keys and keyframe of an old, well worn, WNG =
actio
    > Terry Farrell
    [Paul Chick (Earthlink)]=20
    I've done this many times for 20 years with no noise problems from =
the keys.

    Paul C=20