Over sharp treble

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:34:59 -0500

Doesn't humidity typically cause an increase in crown, as the wood cells =
swell across the grain (like grains of rice getting fatter, not longer)? =
 If so, this would cause the center of the soundboard to deflect more =
than the edges, affecting strings on the parts of the bridges near the =
center more than the high treble  -- or what?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 10:08 PM
  Subject: Re: Over sharp treble

  In a message dated 10/31/2004 2:42:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, =
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

    Humidity changes, GREATLY affect the upper treble. Sometimes, more =
than you think it should. Why? Don't have a clue! It just does

  Greetings,=20

            Yes sir,  and it causes sharp trebles! I sort of figured =
this out on my own. It makes sense doesnt it? ...You have a soundboard =
there which I liken to a big piece of bread. A piece of bread will go =
stale and dry out around it's edges first.=20

              I figured out that around the sound board's edges is where =
it will first start to absorb humidity so the extremes are likeley to =
sharpen there first. Same thing when the heat goes on; it dries out near =
the edges first. That's how I picture it. Makes sense to me.

  Julia,=20
  Reading, PA