humidity level for conditioning new pinblock

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:24:28 -0500

Well, I haven't seen a reply to your post yet, so I'll take a stab.

First of all, if you have a dehumidifier, why is your shop up to 63% RH -
although that's not really terribly excessive? I would suppose the best
humidity level would be whatever RH the piano is expected to live in - or
rather, the middle of the RH range expected.

I guess if you live in New Mexico, it may be worthwhile to let the block sit
for a month or so to let it come somewhere in the range of it's
surroundings. If you live in coastal Washington State, you may want to wait
a while also while the block absorbs some water. But for most climates, your
shop is probably not so terribly far from some midpoint of an expected RH
range for the piano's future.

But how long has is been in your shop? Did you just get it delivered from a
supply house? If so, you may not really have much idea at all about the MC
of the wood.

I like to buy my wood at least six months to a year before I intend on using
it - most of it sits for more than a year or two before use. I've got a
large supply of rough-sawn spruce, maple and a few pinblocks residing in my
constant-humidity shop. Doing that simply eliminates this whole
hard-to-answer question/concern regarding wood MC stability. A
several-inch-thick hunk of hardwood can take months for its MC to come into
equilibrium with its environment, depending on the RH/MC contrast.

Bottom line: It's probably OK. If you are not in a rush on this job, let it
sit for a few weeks or however long you can. A good cross-grain-laminated
pinblock shouldn't be changing all that much is size anyway with small
changes in MC.

Or maybe I should have just kept it short and said: I dunno.     ;-)

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com