one rubber mute

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:22:33 -0800

Dave Anderson sez:
  I tune A440, then A220 to that, tuning the right string of each note
first, then the middle, then the left. I check, usually with the F3 below,
to see that I’m on pitch.
  Then I go ahead and set the temperament (F3 to F4), putting each note in
relationship with its neighbors, tuning as I go.  I make small adjustments
to the notes through the practice of “shimming” the unisons, or “cracking”
the unisons: say I’ve got 4 notes of the temperament tuned, and I decide the
2nd note I tuned needs to move a little. I move one outside string (usually)
a slight, slight bit in the direction I want it to go, then match it with
the middle string, and check where it is.  If I like it, I leave it; if I
don’t, I move it some more.
WHen I'm in the temperament section, I'm constantly using reference strings
for checks -- testing fifths with the major sixth below the lower note of
the fifth, for example. How do you do this efficiently using a single rubber
mute?

Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans