Wire gauges

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:57:44 -0800

Here's a piano posting!
There was a discussion on wire sizes and gauges recently.  I have just
uploaded a revised string size chart to my website.  It shows that
Röslau wire, which is drawn to metric standards, is significantly
different in dimension than the nominal size it is sold as in North
America.  For example: a Rölau wire sold in the US as #14  (.033")
actually measures .0335" which is .85 mm.  This corresponds to #14.5 in
the Metric system.
It is important to remember that the vast majority of all piano makes
use the metric system/gauges.  The wire sizes indicated on the
bridges/plates of pianos from Asia and Europe are the metric sizes.

Have I confused everyone?  Check out the chart:

http://www.pianofortesupply.com/wiresizes.html

Jurgen Goering