Tail Arching

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:58:34 -0800

Terry,
My method is to clamp, a section at a time, with small "c" clamps, =
(hobbiest type). Prop them up for easy access. Oh, I use three clamps. =
One on each end and one in the middle. I use 1/2" x 3/4" Oak strips w/ =
"camper foam seal" on one side to grab/cushion the shanks. The middle =
clamp is slimmed down, so it'll go between the shanks. The bottom of the =
clamps sit on a piece of 1/4" plywood that is laid over the wippens. I =
use a 3" Rubber Sanding Disc. The sticky backed discs, I get from 3M. I =
like to use 40 grit, as it leaves a little "roughness" for the =
backchecks to "grab". With a little practice you can become very =
accurate at getting the "proper" arch. (Go slowly and move the =
drill/sanding disc in the desired "arch") This is, I liken, much like =
"sculpting" and can be kinda fun.<G>
Oh, BTW, you could use Spurlocks Hammer Shank Clamp instead of the Oak =
Thingees I have. They're made out of Aluminum Channel and have rubber in =
the channel to protect the shanks. A good tool! Reasonably inexpensive, =
well made. I hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police