Fork accuracy

Thu, 04 Nov 2004 05:16:55 -0600

At 01:30 11/4/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>    Except for that one concert tuning out of 1000 other tunings in homes,
> schools, and churches,

That's my problem.  I've got up to 15 concerts/recitals a week at this time
of year.

>  it just doesn't matter.

Au contraire around here. They _will_ scream. The clarinet prof caught me
in the hall just yesterday and mentioned that his studio piano had some
"problems".

>   If the piano's a bit flat or sharp of 440, but basically in tune with
> itself, I leave it that way, rather than raise or lower pitch and make it
> more unstable.

I don't have that option.  These folks all have some sort of pitch source
in their rooms - sometimes I'll tune the piano to it rather than my RCT.
;-}  That's the only way I get to "cheat".

>  Now, I said "a bit,", meaning 2,3,4 beats, maybe.  I didn't say 20 cents
> or a quarter-step off.

Oops,  4 beats (would that be Hertz?) is roughly 15¢ - pushing that 20¢
margin, I'd say.

>  In most places, who's gonna come check to see if it's exactly on
> 440?  Even if it's as much as 3 bps off from the church organ, I'll leave
> it where it is in most cases because when they turn on the heat or the
> lights or the air conditioning, or when summer rains or winter heating
> season comes along, it's gonna change anyway.  We're not calibrating the
> international atomic clock (or whatever) here, just making pianos sound
> decent most of the time for most players, only one out of probably more
> like 10,000 of whom is a concert artist that demands exactly A=440 on
> every piano all the time everywhere.

Again, that's an occupational hazard of a college tech, so I have a hard
time leaving any other piano at any other pitch. I never know if any one of
the customer's picky relatives or friends might be visiting and playing.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-The only substitute for bad manners is good reflexes.