Fork accuracy

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:47:55 -0700

> Hi David,
>
> How do you choose where to "float the pitch"? If at A4 then 4 beats would
> be =~ 15 cents. If this "floating" is made necessary by humidity change,
> then the piano is very likely still going to be unstable to some degree as
> other areas of the instrument will be "out" by at least double your
> "float

    Oh, it depends -- if it's an elementary school that doesn't use the
piano much, or even in a jr. high or high school where the piano is more for
vocals or accompanying solos, rather than actually being played with the
orchestra or band, and there's no need for it to be exactly on 440, I'll
tune it at a pitch level that requires the least alteration of the piano's
string tensions.  I figure, the less I alter things, the more stable it'll
be.
    The whole piano doesn't go sharp by the same amount.  It's usually just
the top few bass strings and from the bass/treble break up to the C5, G5
area.  If the low tenor (invariably the section that has gone the sharpest)
is sharp by 7 beats, or 25 cents, or whatever, I'll lower it to match the
bass and octaves 5 and 6, which aren't quite as sharp.  I try to avoid
having to pull the bass strings even the smallest amount sharp, since on
those old 50's and 60's studio uprights, they're already on the verge of
breaking, and in many pianos, already have spliced strings and several
universal string replacements (custom strings are not in the budget).
    In some cases, if it has gone 20 cents sharp or more during the summer,
I'll lower pitch in September, especially in a band room, since the wind
instruments' tuning slides, or crooks, even when shoved all the way in,
can't make the instruments sharp enough to match the piano.  But I know if I
lower the piano all the way down to 440, then after the heat's been on for
several weeks, it'll drop below 440 and will need a pitch raise before the
Christmas concert.  Better to be a little sharp for a month or two.
    Usually the pianos are not flat since they get tuned for a Christmas
concert or other recital during the school year.
    There are of course exceptions, like if the jazz band uses vibes and
piano, the vibraphone of course can't be tuned (easily), so I'll tune to
A=440.
    And in churches where they actually play the piano and organ together,
I'll tune it to the organ, but even there, a beat or two difference, even
three, is tolerable to most people -- it's either that or tune the piano at
least twice a year, and most churches don't want to fork out the money for
that.
    I find that it's almost impossible to get a school (I'm talking public
schools, not universities) to use a Dampp-Chaser system correctly and/or
effectively since:  they're always moving the piano from the music room to
the stage and back, or moving it around the room, or the janitor unplugs it
to vacuum and forgets to plug it back in, or the kids unplug it, vandalize
it, or it gets unplugged over the summer 'cause they had to move it to do
the floors, or they skip a year on the tuning and the humidifier pads get
all crusty and it runs out of water, or somebody trips on the cord and yanks
the humidistat loose, spills the water all over the bottom board, or "they
just forgot" (to fill it), or lost the watering can, or the stage crew
borrowed the extension cord, or they "didn't know pianos had to be plugged
in," etc. etc. etc.
    And in homes, exact A=440 isn't absolutely necessary unless you've got
music-major types, so-called "perfect pitch"-types, people playing duets
with fixed-pitch instruments, etc., but probably in 29 cases out of 30, if
the piano is even as much as 25 cents off, nobody notices or cares.
However, I do tell them what the standard is, and that the tone is probably
best at A=440, since that's where the tension was engineered to be.  Now, if
it's a quarter-step flat or something, I insist on raising pitch of course,
because it might interfere with good pitch memory if it's that far off.
        --David Nereson, RPT