Moistureproofing shop - now stage box

Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:52:17 -0600

At 09:39 11/4/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Nice explanation, Sarah, but I think a dehumidifier
>dripping to the outside in a sealed box is the best
>way to go. Speaking of which: how do Dampp Chaser bars
>dry out piano parts, as increased heat in a closed box
>such as piano case only allows more moisture to reside
>in the air?
>      Thump

I think it has something to do with relativity.

Think relative humidity rather than absolute.

The warmer air inside the box(piano) has less relative humidity than the
air with the same absolute humidity outside of it.  Dew point is at the
bottom of the temp/humidity chart, not the top.

BTW, I haven't seen a playable hermetically sealed piano yet. Some with
very little air flow routes, perhaps, but none with none.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-The only substitute for bad manners is good reflexes.