Moistureproofing shop - now stage box

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:32:11 -0500

The warmer air will hold more moisture. It will draw it out of the wood. For
a given relative humidity level in the air, the wood will stabilize at a
given moisture content. Lower the relative humidity of the air and the wood
moisture content will go down accordingly. Relative humidity can be lowered
by either pulling moisture out of the air (dehumidifier) or raising the
temperature (heater bar).

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 12:52 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Moistureproofing shop - now stage box

At 09:39 11/4/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Nice explanation, Sarah, but I think a dehumidifier
>dripping to the outside in a sealed box is the best
>way to go. Speaking of which: how do Dampp Chaser bars
>dry out piano parts, as increased heat in a closed box
>such as piano case only allows more moisture to reside
>in the air?
>      Thump

I think it has something to do with relativity.

Think relative humidity rather than absolute.

The warmer air inside the box(piano) has less relative humidity than the
air with the same absolute humidity outside of it.  Dew point is at the
bottom of the temp/humidity chart, not the top.

BTW, I haven't seen a playable hermetically sealed piano yet. Some with
very little air flow routes, perhaps, but none with none.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-The only substitute for bad manners is good reflexes.