Hammer bore dimension

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:04:51 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Since this is a political list now I'll attempt to keep this on
topic.  Let's say that George Bush, in an attempt to make good on his claim
that "I'm a uniter, not a divider", hires John Kerry to rebuild his
piano (assuming he has one).  John, in a spirit of bipartisanship, decides
to do the best job he can.  One of the things he decides to do is put on
some new hammers.  He measures string heights at several locations and
hammer center heights.  He had planned to take the difference in these two
measurements and use this as the hammer bore dimension.  However, he finds
that the difference is not constant.  Here are some sample figures of what
he finds:

Note 21  Difference = 51 mm
Note 62  Difference = 53 mm
Note 88  Difference = 49 mm

What should John do?

1.  Use the same bore dimension on all hammers?  Why?  Which dimension
should he use?

2.  Vary the bore from note 21 to note 88?  Why?

Phil Ford