A440 tolerances

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:42:28 -0500

> Hi Duane and Terry,
>=20
> Nice definition Terry.=20

Thanks.

> So your tolerance then is + or - 2 cents.=20

Oh I guess I have different definitions for significant digits for =
different clients! Yes, for a concert tuning - especially if other =
instruments are involved - I may write A440 on a receipt, but that piano =
would be within a couple tenths of a hertz or less. But yeah, for the =
average Joe down the street, I usually float the pitch (if it is sharp) =
and simply indicate the closest whole number hertz value on the receipt. =
=20

> There are
> many technicians who feel that 2 cents is the "outside" limit for =
pitch
> correction on a concert tuning.=20

I would say that I am among those.

> I am not speaking of what is "acceptable"
> to the public--I am talking about what is acceptable to our "golden =
ears".
> Personally I want my pitch corrections to be within 1 cent of A440, or =
less.

Yeah, but what was said about pitch corrections? I thought this was a =
thread in part about what A440 actually means and how close to A440 one =
might actually tune the piano. I don't think pitch corrections were part =
of this discussion.

Terry Farrell

> At 08:14 AM 05/11/2004 -0600, you wrote:
> >Terry,
> >
> >Talk about splitting hairs - unless you are a perfectionist or a REAL =

> >musician, what difference does it make. (Going out on a limb) =
Probably,=20
> >most customers don't even know what A440 means.
> >
> >Flame suit on
> >
> >Farrell wrote:
> >
> >>Significant digits. Scientific/mathematical concept. A440 =
technically means
> >>closer to 440 Hz than 441 or 339, or between 339.5 and 440.5. If you =
want to
> >>specify A440 and not 440.1 Hz, then you would need to indicate =
A440.0.