one rubber mute

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:31:39 -0800

Hey Bubba,
What is shimming unisons?
The other Bubba

From: David Andersen <bigda@gte.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: one rubber mute

>Seriously...(if that's possible)this is an old style tuning=
 technique best left to the past, imho.
I=92m so glad that=92s only your OPINION, mon frere, with no actual=
 basis in fact. It was adequate for every single luminous,=
 musical, precise, stable tuning on earth until very, very=
 recently.

 >Extremely ineffiecient unless, as David apparently has, one has=
 the ability to get it right the first time.
Uhh...that=92s the general idea=97to get it either right or super=
 close; but the art of shimming unisons, well-learned and=
 practiced, speeds things up and moves thing along exponentially.=
 As you learn to trust your body more, your ears more, and don=92t=
 have to rely so much on tests, things get quicker as well.  As I=
 said before, I can put a stone-solid, singing concert tuning on=
 any piano that=92s on or real close to pitch in 80-90 minutes.

Viva old school, bubba.

David Andersen