senior tuners

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:30:15 -0600

I have 15 pianos which I tune 2 times a year, under contract.( spring /
fall )
Just completing the fall tunings this week. Most of the pianos were at
about
445. I'm using an Acc-Tuner, and used it to tune the last time, also. I
try
to tune A440, all the time , but because in this case, the pianos are
used
independently, I don't think it's a problem to leave them at 442, for
instance.
As the heating season advances, I'm sure they will drop, but hopefully
not require
a pitch raise in the spring. There are 4 grands in this total, with
Damppchasers,
and they also were sharp, but not as much , so I was able to tune to
440. I do
suppose that it is true that senior tuners like to hear the top end
sharper, but not
in this case, because I'm using an ETD.  What I have a problem with, is
the fact
that the top end does go a lot sharper then the low bass.  ( in every
case ). Can't
recall, if ever this was discussed on the list before.  I also have been
wondering,
if there are opinions, regarding whether tuning a grand in an open area,
such as
a large church, where there is little, or too much  reverberation, to
renforce the sound, affects
the clearness of tone, making it more difficult to hear. I seem to have
some problem
with unisons in these conditions. ( I certainly don't do well , if a
vacume cleaner is
running nearby. , or a band is testing microphone setup on stage ). Just
some thoughts
after reading an earlier posting, regarding senior tuners.

Carl / Winnipeg