Carlisle anyone?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:36:04 EST

Hi Denele

Dale,
Thanks for detailed info -- some of it will help, although we're not  cutting
and drilling these pieces -- we aren't equipped for that level of work  and
the reason we were sending this stuff to Schaff was so they could build  these
parts for us.
You mentioned a bearing bar and a counter  bearing.

 Sorry no counter bearing bar. I mis spoke.

Not sure how you're defining these two, but there was only one row of
bearing pins setting the top end of the string between the tuning pin and the
speaking length. This is the 'bearing bar' we sent off for reconstruction, so  we
have no clue about where those pins were. I've considered putting the  action
in and running a string as you describe, to line up with the old string  marks
in the old hammers so we could locate the top bearing position.

Yes this is also more clues & a way to reestablish the  pin locations >
unfortunately I've never even heard or seen a  Carlisle

I was hoping to not have to do that, if someone had a Carlisle they  could
just take a tracing of the bearing bar pins for us.

I'm surmising from other things you said that 2mm is the amount of
downbearing we'd want to achieve at the bridge,

  Upright bass bridges are usually cantileverd & also so  sitting on a very
thin part of the soundboard therefore its wise not  necessary to  stress this
bridge with excess bearing. It requires  esentially zero bearing for tone
production.
   That said you don't want negative bearing. If you have  2mm you'll be at
about zero when acounting for bearing felt & the thickness  of the twisted part
of the loop which doubles the O>D. of the strings core  diameter.

and that about 3/8" is the general clearance we'd want at the tenor  break
between treble wires and wound strings.

Correct?    That's  right.................Dale
Thanks again,
Denele